Tuesday, July 27, 2010

A hectic month

For the past few months, its been hectic as my MacPro has faced so much problems. And it is not the only problem. Been hit thrice on a one night extremely high fever, but that is another story. On the MacPro problem I can say it is all because of my own quest to make it a better system. I have upgraded to Leopard a few months back and when I start to tinker, I lost my original licensing to CS3. Then my internal RAID failed on me. Overheated due to age. Lost so many files in the process. But I have upgraded to Snow Leopard to solve most of the issues. So far so good but I have been facing permissions problems on most of the apps I have.

Last night, disaster struck. Faced with permissions problems I started to tinker again with the system. I have two administrator access which both is mine. So I changed ownership to the new administrator I created when reinstalling the Leopard. Everything went haywired and I was forced to reinstall Snow Leopard again. All my external hard disk got locked out and my internet just stucked. I reset back the ownership to the old administrator and my internet works again.

For external HD got locked I got this on macrumors.com forum. Requires effort on Terminal. Here is the excerpt and it works a charm. Just need to update 1 Gb OS Update (2 hours to go on downloading) and then test all my apps again. Ouch!!!

Quote:
I found a solution that worked.

In Terminal type the following sequence (obviously replace "Volumename with the name of your volume):

sudo chflags 0 /Volumes/Volumename
sudo chown 0:80 /Volumes/Volumename
sudo chmod 775 /Volumes/Volumename
sudo chmod -N /Volumes/Volumename
but if your hard drives name includes a [space] like this: "My HD", then you must write the command like this:

Quote:
sudo chflags 0 /Volumes/firstname\ secondname
sudo chown 0:80 /Volumes/firstname\ secondname
sudo chmod 775 /Volumes/firstname\ secondname
sudo chmod -N /Volumes/firstname\ secondname
or like in my example:

Quote:
sudo chflags 0 /Volumes/My\ HD
sudo chown 0:80 /Volumes/My\ HD
sudo chmod 775 /Volumes/My\ HD
sudo chmod -N /Volumes/My\ HD
It saved both my drives! THANK YOU APPLE!!!

No comments: