Wednesday, April 22, 2009

A fever

I had a full outdoor week last week. It was bright, hot week. Oh, better add the extra bright. Too hot for comfort. Yes, it is me directing finally after almost a year being refrained from doing so. I went to interview RapidKL bus passengers, corporate bosses and took some of the activity people do in a bus. And boy, even the air-conditioning in the bus can cool us down. The heat, was unbearable. Well, in Malaysia, if the weather is too hot in the afternoon, there gonna be heavy rain in the evening. The fast change of climate do have effects on our body.

Since the shooting took almost to the night, I don't have time to get my wound dressing at my usual pharmacy. Instead, I bought a paraffin based gauze dressing as a temporary dressing to my wound. It was plain stupid idea to change my usual bandage to other brands. But I got no choice as I was out of supply. And the pharmacies that carry my usual brand are all closed.

Yesterday morning, I felt extreme cold till both of my hands shook. I was shaking miserably. My body was aching and was hot all over. When I look on my right thigh, there are full of spots. Sign of allergies. Luckily, I bought my usual brand using the last cash I got. I replaced the dressing but it was too late. I am in for a fever. The temperature just rose sky high. I couldn't go to the clinic as I was too weak to drive myself there.

There I lay on the bed, totally oblivious to the world. The pain was unbearable. The fever just took me down. My son, took the liberty to massage me and care for me. While my daughter make a concoction of tamarind and ice water and soaked a towel in it to dab on my forehead. It is a remedy to cool the head. Well, if the brain got too hot, it can caused serious problem. Mind you, I don't even recalled they did this till my wife told me this morning. I only remembered my wife woke me up to do my evening prayers and gave me a pill and milk. After that I was knocked out till 2 am. Then, my fever have broken temporarily. I went down to have some bread and honey to regain some energy. I was knocked out from 11am till 2am. That's about 15 hours. After a pop of 1000mg vitamin C. I went back to sleep. I woke up at 6am for my morning prayer and went back to sleep. The cold has ebbed but my body was sore all over. The allergies has gone but the bandage smells a bit odd. I got a bit panicky, worrying it will get gangrenous. I did a quick nip to the wound and it looks fine.  Need to change the dressing tomorrow anyway.

The fever was due to my body trying to fight the bacteria or whatever hits me. My body has fought and won. It was a terrible battle as the body weakens as the war progress, It was either me recovering or the infection/allergies won. I sure don't want to go through it again. It has taken me down flat. Feeling helpless is something not a man want to be in. Thank to Allah, my wife and kids are with me and cared for me.

As of tonight, I am still feeling sore on the whole body and the mind is still blurry and woozy. But I guess I am recovering as I am writing this now. :-)

Wish me well.



No comments: